Saturday, February 7, 2009

Souper Saturday... Red Beans & Rice...

This week I go back to something I grew up eating... something my husband and son both love but neither of my girls would eat - oh well - just meant there was always more for us!

I used one package of Red Beans - sorted, rinsed, and soaked for a couple hours.

I picked up a couple ham hocks earlier in the fall - I used one at that time and froze the other... can you believe the size of this one?  I was very please with the other one I cooked - it was very meaty.

Red Beans

Throw everything in a pot with water, salt & pepper (I used a black and red pepper mix), onion and garlic.... and let it cook through the afternoon until the beans are soft.  I usually mash some beans against the side of the pot to help thicken the broth... and serve it over rice.

red beans 009

If you want top it off with some fresh chopped onion, or to spice it up a bit... add some chopped jalapeno peppers or some hot sauce.  As good as it will be tonight for dinner... it's going to taste even better tomorrow!

No comments: