Saturday, January 24, 2009

Souper Saturday...

This weekend brings us Re-runs...

I posted back after Thanksgiving about cooking up the turkey carcass and using up the leftover herbs - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme...

The re-runs this week used the carcass from Christmas which has been waiting in my freezer.  I cooked up the carcass in a nice bath of soup base and then picked the meat off and discarded the bones.

I didn't have any fresh herbs... they died sometime over the past month in the vegetable bin... I know - I should have cooked this up sooner.  So I used what dried herbs I had - which consisted of ground thyme, parsley flakes, dehydrated minced garlic, and poultry seasoning.  And my onions seem to have died too... so I used dehydrated.  I did have fresh carrots and celery to throw in the pot.

I cut up a smoked sausage and threw it in during the last hour of cooking to boost the flavor.

Last time I lamented that I didn't have any pictures because:

  1. I hadn't found the cord to my old camera.  --- I have found and use it often since then - but the batteries are dead right now.
  2. We couldn't find our new camera and were afraid it was lost or stolen.  --- Well it wasn't either - it was misplaced by The Engineer.  It was left in his nephews rental car when they visited in Oct.  They found it when they turned the car in but forgot to mail it back when they returned home.  We received it just before Christmas with a nice apology for not being more timely and a disk of pictures they took with their camera while visiting.  I have that but it's on the 3rd floor and I'm not running up there to get it... I'm just plain lazy right now... sorry!

The Engineer thought it was wonderful... we each had two bowls over rice.  Which just proves it doesn't have to be fancy to be flavorful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny I leave comments and they don't show up ! HMMMMM

Mary

Anonymous said...

there it is !!
your soups sound yummy ! I'm doing Sat night Pizza's on my 360 George Forman .
Mary