Sunday, May 31, 2009

Gardening...

Is a lot of physical work... I hurt everywhere!  I'm so glad I had a helper for part of the heavy work...

We filled the grow-boxes early this week with 4 yards of a soil-less mix of sand, sawdust, and peat moss.  Lets just say I'm very happy that the sand portion was only 25% of the total... because after a rain... sand is HEAVY!

I hauled out my tiller - oh how I love that little guy!  We had a little misunderstanding in the beginning about starting up - but we agreed that I would turn the ON-OFF switch to ON and he would start in the first couple of pulls (in my defense I hadn't used it in many years - so I forgot gardenbox 019that silly switch thing).  I never would have been able to mix all those layers by hand with a hoe or shovel...

As of this afternoon - everything is planted... strawberries, lettuce, herbs, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, pumpkin, beets, onions, and tomatoes.  I still need to put the string up for the tomatoes, etc. 

I planted the coleus up around the house and still have some flowers and vines to put in now that we've got the mulch spread around. 

fruit trees 011

 

 

 

Out back the cherries are starting to show color on one of the fruit trees 013trees and the apple tree has little tiny apples bobbing around in the wind.

 

 

If I can get the fish to quit digging out the water plants we split up I'll be happy... I'm guessing they miss nibbling on the roots.  I'm getting tired of the mess they are making... but when I fuss at them they just make silly little fish faces at me...

No comments: