Friday, March 8, 2013

What’s On The Needles - March 8

Eggs… soon to be boiled eggs… well Easter Eggs… um… actually Felted Easter Eggs.

Edit: I forgot to add the pattern info – it’s a free pattern available via Ravelry – search for Felted Knit Eggs by Sara Hills.

I laid them out on a ruler to document sizes… most are consistently 3 inches tall… some are taller if I wasn’t paying attention to my knitting… LOL and you see that little yellow egg… well I’m not sure how it got to be the runt of the litter…

Easter Eggs 6

I ran out of the roving I was stuffing them with so I have a lot of flat eggs…

Easter Eggs 7

I wanted to test out how they would felt so I threw a few in a pot this morning and boiled them.

Easter Eggs 9

Then I took the yellow one out and with gloves on I rolled and squished it around and around – dropping in back in the water and fetching it out again to continue rolling.  I have to say I was a little concerned when the insides tightened up and left a floppy, flappy, soggy skin (shell) behind… kinda like our bodies when we loose weight… seriously it wasn’t pretty!  But the skin (shell) finally caught up and voila a little egg… after testing out hand rolling the yellow one I dropped it back into the pot for a picture.  You can see how much it shrunk down!

Easter Eggs 10

I poured the whole pot of water and eggs into the washer with a small load of towels set to high heat and NO SPIN.  And here is what I got… I did squeeze some of the water out and hand rolled them a bit to get that eggs shape.  One of them missed it’s pictures… he had hooked up with a piece of velcro in the washer and was a little misshapen – he went through the washer again and is looking better.  I plan to dye some of the white ones with Kool-aid so I’ll post again when I have more done.  These now measure between 2.25” and 2.5” tall.

Easter Eggs 11

These are quick and easy to knit – once you get the hang of it you can kind of mindlessly knit away.  And it’s rather forgiving… so that extra row here or there really won’t matter… eggs vary in size and shape don’t they?

Check out what others are knitting this week over at Judy’s Patchwork Times

3 comments:

straythreads said...

those are really cool eggs would you share the pattern and what a way to use scraps.
Ann

Diane Wagner said...

Love you eggs. Can't wait to see what they look like after you dye them with Koolaid.

Judy S. said...

How fun!