Thursday, March 26, 2009

Country Bumpkin Goes Out to Supper...

I think I have mentioned that the hotel The Engineer and I are staying in serves a light meal 4 evenings a week.  As a cost saving measure we have been taking advantage of that which leaves us to dine out or enjoy a meal with family the other nights.  Yesterday The Engineer was a little late arriving home from work so we missed the free meal down the hall... LOL

I suggested we go out  to a place we had talked about going to... The Engineer suggested we find someplace a little less expensive for the evening and decided we would check out a place close by that had an interesting name that didn't give any hint as to the type of food they served.  So off we went...

As we walked around the building I noticed a couple coming out with 2 small children... hmmmm?  As soon as we came through the doors I knew.  There were several families with small children waiting... every table I could see had small children seated... there was someone in the lobby doing face painting on a small patron... THIS place catered to families... families with lots of small children!

Now don't get me wrong... I've had small children and we always enjoyed going out to eat with them.  But they grew up and moved away.  I even have small grandchildren which I would happily take out to dinner if they lived on this side of the ocean.  But I'm on vacation ( OK - actually I'm just loafing someplace other than home) and a meal in a building full of small children wasn't the experience I was looking for that evening.  The hostess - a young woman with bright pink locks amongst her black tresses asked if she could help us.  I walked up and asked quietly... "is this place full of little kids?"  She confirmed that it was... I said "Thank you very much but it's not quite what we were looking for" -  I wished her a good evening and we left.

The building next door to this place had and Irish Pub sounding name so we decided that we'd just walk there rather than getting back in the car and driving someplace else.

So this Irish sounding place... whose sign touted steak and crab also wasn't quite what we expected.  It wasn't the valet parking that gave it away... as lots of places have valet parking.  OK well - maybe not on a Wednesday but certainly on the weekends. 

Anyhoo - it was the 2 really spiffy SPIFFY young men who opened the doors as The Engineer and I walked up that gave it away... and by then we were kinda committed.  You see I don't have a problem walking out of a joint because it's full of kids... but I wasn't about to declare my Country Bumpkin status by walking out of a classy joint - we've done classy before - I just would have worn makeup if I'd known.

I would have also brought my glasses... so I didn't have to hold the menu wayyyyyy down there to read...

Anyway - we did have a lovely meal... everything about it was delicious and top notch.  I might be a Country Bumpkin but I do appreciate fine food and excellent service...

"So much for finding someplace a little less expensive..." was my comment to The Engineer after we placed our order... I just couldn't resist... LOL

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I'm guessing that was The Magic Time Machine or some such ? Sounds like you're having fun ;0

Another sale!: http://www.simplysockyarn.com/servlet/StoreFront

Bon said...

Sounds like it was quite the evening. But what did you have to eat? No pictures?