Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Knock it off...

Have you ever been sitting someplace while a couple kids proceeded to be loud and annoying to each other and everyone else?

That just drives me nuts... especially those kids (mostly boys) who seem to take great delight in annoying a sister while the parent is blind to the activities or absent all together.

Such was the case last week when I went to pick up my glasses...

I sat down amongst several other adults and 2 kids who had taken up residence in two small kids size chairs parked in front of the TV showing something about the Great Apes on Animal Planet.  Now I would have been happy to sit and watch had it not been for the constant poking and slapping occurring between the boy and girl.  A few minutes later in twirled the Mom chasing after a toddler who's hands and face were covered in green goooooo - I kid you not - Green Goooo.

The forth child was the one there for an appointment and was apparently changing from one little exam room to another... so Mom and green gooey baby (thankfully) disappeared.  The older two continued to jump up and down, pick up and whack each other with the 'free calendar cards' on the counter and other such nonsense.

I don't know about you but several years ago (I think about the time I hit 50) I stopped sitting by and watching stuff like this.

So I leaned forward and I said in a firm voice...

"Knock it Off, Sit Quietly or Go Sit With Your Mother"

Those two kids never even turned around to see who it was that had just issued that edict.  They immediately stopped their noise - sat up straight facing the TV.  They didn't even look at each other...

A little while later the Mom came back in and called them into the next waiting area... you know the place with all the toys to play with eye glass samples to try on.  I resisted the temptation to wave when they turned to look at me as they followed Mom out.

Does stuff like that drive you nuts too?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect!

Teri

Bon said...

I wish I had your guts. There are many times I'd like to say something to kids/adults who are misbehaving.

Dawn-Marie said...

I have to say I do that quite often. It is amazing how well kids behave when a stranger tells them to behave.