Sunday, September 16, 2007

LoJack for Laptops and Renters Insurance

One of my daughters recently returned to San Diego from Hawaii and unfortunately her Apple laptop computer was stolen out of her checked luggage. (We won't even go to the "what ever was she thinking..." topic.)

She (with the help of her sister) spent the better part of 2 days changing passwords and log-ins for her online stuff - and she's had to suffer through the hassles of putting fraud reports out to the credit companies and changing banking info.

She immediately filed reports with the Airline, Police, and her Insurance Company. Yes - the good news is that she has 'Renters Insurance' and even better news is that the policy covered the loss so that she could replace her laptop. Renters insurance is very cheap and well worth the investment.

Unfortunately she's lost lots of pictures that had been downloaded to the laptop and I'm sure that as time goes by she'll remember other documents and files she had on there that she doesn't have a hard copy for.

So what else could she have done?? (yeah besides not putting stuff like that in a checked suitcase)
  • Purchase and use TSA approved locks for the suitcase - these allow the suitcase to be opened and searched by security at the airport - and would limit the ability of others to easily pilfer though your stuff.

  • LoJack for Laptops! I learned about this last year when my husband purchased new laptops for us from DELL. We have a 3 year plan. http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/ This would at least provide the possibility of recovery.
  • Backup photos and documents to other permanent storage.
Which reminds me - I need to get photos and other documents on my laptop copied to CD... or better yet - I think I'll get a portable DVD burner so that I can put more data on a DVD disk. No sense tempting fate...

No comments: