Thursday, September 5, 2013

Life Ain’t Perfect…

I recently came across an old quilt top being used in a booth at an outdoor Antique Market as a table cover.  When I moved a couple items to look at it the guy offered it at $20.  I kinda hemmed and hawed about it and started to leave when he knocked it down to $15.  Since we had just arrived I told him we would look around a bit and be back before leaving to decide.

We did go back and I did pick it up… it has a 3 x 6 block center section of Improved 9-patch blocks, a red border, a round of traditional 9-patch blocks alternating with a plain muslin block, a round of log cabin blocks, another red border, followed by another round of 9 patches and plain print fabric blocks ending with an outside border of plain muslin.

100_1054

It is hand pieced and as I was looking at it I discovered that the maker was intent on using up what ever scraps she had available to her.  I easily found several blocks that had pieced pieces in them.  This black section to a log cabin block caught my attention first as I was looking at the hand stitching on the back.

100_1063100_1064

A couple of alternate squares in the outer 9 patch row.

100_1065100_1067

It is clear that this yellow with blue grid fabric that was used as the center of the log cabin is coming apart badly in nearly all the blocks.  I would like to find a replacement for that.

100_1060 

Here is a quick EQ drawing of the quilt that measures approx. 77” x 95”.  I had a hard time making things work in EQ because the maker of this quilt just made things fit where she needed them to…

Improved 9-patch 

and if she couldn’t make a whole block fit… she put in a partial.  See the yellow nine patch with the tan 9 patch to it’s right with the abbreviated plain block between them… yeah that how she made it all work in all 4 corners.

100_1057

Our lesson here is that life isn’t perfect – we just need to find a way to make it work!

No comments: