Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Another Year… Another Retreat…

Each year since 2009 I’ve had a group of friends arrive to spend a few days sewing, chatting, eating, shopping, and laughing.

We moved our gathering this year to September from it’s traditional mid-July date and by consensus I think this will be the preferred time to gather.  It’s so much cooler outside and inside!

Here is the 2013 (Year 5) group picture taken with some of the Star Challenge Quilts behind us.  Listed below left to right are those pictured with a note as to their attending the Retreat (sewing with us), submitting a block, top, or finished quilt for the Challenge, and those regular attendees that were unable to make it this year but either sent a Challenge quilt in and/or were with us in Spirit ( we sure missed you! )

HoeDown 2013

  • George – Retreat & Challenge
  • Lori – Retreat & Challenge
  • Ginny – visitor with sister TJ
  • TJ – Challenge
  • May – Retreat & Challenge
  • Me – Retreat & (I don’t enter my quilt in the Challenge)
  • Brian – Retreat & Challenge
  • Bev – Retreat & Challenge
  • Melissa - Retreat & Challenge
  • Neen - Retreat & Challenge
  • Wendy - Retreat
  • Sue – with us in spirit & Challenge
  • Dawn – with us in spirit
  • Elaine – with us in spirit

This is the 2009 (Year 1) photo.

hoedown 001 2009

Here are the Star Challenge Quilts in no particular order…

Bev’s winning Lemoyne Star Quilt

Star Bev

Brian’s combination Lone/Lemoyne Star top

Star Brian

George’s Lemoyne Star Block

Star George First Blk

May’s Sawtooth Star top

Star May 1

Melissa’s Star Quilt

Star Melissa 1

Lori’s Tropical Stars

Star Night Lori

Sue’s Carpenters Star Quilt

Star Sue 1

TJ’s Star Sampler Quilt

Star TJ 1

Neens Birthday Star Sampler Top

Star Neen Birthday Blks

Again this year we gathered in the classroom at Piece by Piece Quilt Shop in Ephrata, PA.  If you ever need a large retreat location… this is the best! 

First row of work tables – yes there are seven tables

2013 Working

Second row of work tables ( 3 )and extra large cutting table (6 large cutting mats fit easily around it) behind that (with challenge quilts laid out) and against the far wall are ironing stations and more tables if we needed them.

2013 HoeDown (3)

Everyone headed out for home Sunday afternoon and Monday was declared a PJ day for me.  I had intended to finish the few little areas left of hand quilting on my Challenge – but took a nap instead!  Maybe later today I’ll finish it up and get the binding cut and sewn on… maybe…

I will post a picture of my quilt when it is finished later this week after I wash it… hoping that the wonderful rumple look will hide my newbie hand quilting.  I have decided that I am consistently in-consistent – it’s all about being consistent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, you sell yourself short. You do beautiful hand-quilting! I had NO idea that you were brandy-new at it. It surely didn't show!

I had another wonderful time. I'm so glad that I didn't miss it. Can't wait for next year's!

Thanks again, for everything. Oh, and (((HUG))) the judge for me. And, make it good cause I want to win next year!

xxoo
neen